By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Does anybody else think that Shadow of the Colossus is overrated?

And not just overrated, but horribly so?

I just borrowed it from my friend tonight as I'm looking for other PS2 games to play. I saw it on IGN's top 100 games of all time and figured it should be a fun distraction until I get some new Wii games or he asks for it back (which probably won't be for a long time as he's been playing COD4 on computer now). While I thought that the graphics looked a little sparse at first glance through the introduction sequence, I was fine with that, as I feel graphics have little bearing on how great a game is.

Unfortunately, I like it when the graphics don't hurt my eyes. The game seems very blurry to me, so blurry that it was enough to make me think I needed to see an optometrist. The character seems to respond to commands very sluggishly, and it almost seems like this is a poor attempt at a copy of a 3D Zelda game. Heck, Ocarina of Time responded much better IMO.

Sometimes when I'm riding the horse around the world (which is very large and would be impressive if...) half the screen just goes completely blue for a bit. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this game has a 91% on gamerankings. My eyes really do hurt from playing it, it's like the framerate never even makes it to 30 FPS, but dips down to 10. Sure, I get that some of these are issues due to the enormity of the world, but come on. I would say that the combat with the colossi is fun, but again the overall sluggishness of both the gameplay and the graphics makes it much less fun than it's capable of.

I realize this games a few years old, but does anybody else agree/disagree? Is there maybe something wrong with my PS2?

Around the Network

the camera is the worst part of this game

Where is leo-j at? He should be in here claiming that MS paid off all the reviewers, and he knows it for fact...oh wait, this game is for playsation2. Oops.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

MEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEE MEEEEEEEEEEEE. *jumping like a hyper active little girl.

Satan said:

"You are for ever angry, all you care about is intelligence, but I repeat again that I would give away all this superstellar life, all the ranks and honours, simply to be transformed into the soul of a merchant's wife weighing eighteen stone and set candles at God's shrine."

I don't think the graphics are that bad...you may actually be having abnormal problems...

But the graphics were amazing for the time, there weren't many games with bloom before it...and the camera was par for the games at the time of its release as well.

Nowadays, yeah, that camera would be annoying, and the overuse of bloom combined with the jaggies and general PS2 graphics might make it seem bad...but it's still good in my eyes.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

its my favourite game of all time. super mario galaxy is catching up though (72 stars so far)

I played the demo back when it came out and it turned me off. The game was running at like 5 FPS and the controls just didn't want to respond.

I still think I'll rent it one day. Or buy it really cheap.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

If you buy it, make sure you don't pay more than 5 dollars. I just beat another colossus and none of the problems seem to be improving. Seriously, 5 FPS seems to be generous at times. When you're on a colossus and it's shaking, you'll go instantly from standing to falling off the platforms on the colossus. There's very little direction given, and very little reason to really care. I'm trying to bring some girl back to life who presumably the main character loves. Gee, I sure hope they can get married when she becomes one of the undead.

Unfortunately the demo seems to be a very accurate representation of this game. Also, I checked a couple of my other games, and since BF2, beatmania and DDR are all running just fine, the problem is in this grainy game.

RolStoppable said:

Yes, I agree with you, the game is overrated.

The controls aren't precise, especially with the horse and the framerate drops way too often.

That was the point.  They tried to make it like riding a real horse.  Horses don't obey your commands instantly and turn on a dime like in Zelda and Elder Scrolls games.

I played it for 5 seconds and got bored, I'm sure it is great though.